I’m so excited to share one of my favorite resources with you all today. I am always dabbling in vintage imagery & illustrations for mood boards, inspiration, etc, so when I first stumbled upon Biodiversity Heritage Library it was love at first “site”. They have hundreds of hi-res images of natural history and botanical illustrations. I could look through them all day- beautiful florals, funky fungi and some pretty gnarly insects. If I can ever narrow it down to a few favorites, I would love to mount and frame some for my kitchen.
I’ve been wanting to use these in a project for sometime and thought a Valentine’s DIY would be perfect! With the mix of modern calligraphy and great illustration, these are sure to send love and smiles to your valentine!
1. Download and print your favorite vintage valentine (or spread the love and print all 4!)
– download “You Kick…” template (for that sassy valentine!)
*Be sure when printing, the checkbox labeled “Scale to Printable Area” is not clicked, this will mess up your dimensions for the envelope.
2. Cut out cards with scissors or if you are perfectionist like me, use an exacto and metal ruler
3. Fold over, making edges meet (to get great crisp lines try using a bone folder. These are a great investment to have on hand if you’re a crafter.)
4. Fill with your love letters and romantic sonnets, then slip them into any A-2 Envelope. I used Kraft envelopes for mine, but any color would look great!
Don’t forget to show your self some love! Click here to make your desktop bloom with a beautiful botanical wallpaper.